The Basics: Bibliography
- Alexander, Michelle. 2012. The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness. The New Press.
- Bell, Derrick. 1987. And We Are Not Saved: The Elusive Quest for Racial Justice. New York, NY: Basic Books.
- Bell, Derrick. 1992. Faces at the Bottom of the Well: The Permanence of Racism. New York, NY: Basic Books.
- Bonilla-Silva, Eduardo. 2003. Racism without Racists: Color-Blind Racism and the Persistence of Racial Inequality in the United States. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield.
- Collins, Patricia H. 2000. Black Feminist Thought: Knowledge, Consciousness, and the Politics of Empowerment. 2nd ed. New York, NY: Routledge.
- Cone, James H. 2011. The Cross and the Lynching Tree. Orbis Books.
- Daniels, Jessie. 1997. White Lies: Race, Class, Gender, and Sexuality in White Supremacist Discourse. New York, NY: Routledge.
- DuBois, W.E.B. 1920/2003. Darkwater: Voices From Within the Veil. Amherst, NY: Humanity Books.
- Essed, Philomena. 1991. Understanding Everyday Racism. Newbury Park, CA: Sage Publications.
- Feagin, Joe R. 2006. Systemic Racism: A Theory of Oppression. New York, NY: Routledge.
- Feagin, Joe R. 2001. Racist America: Roots, Current Realities and Future Reparations. New York, NY: Routledge.
- Feagin, Joe R, Hernan Vera, and Pinar Batur. 2001. White Racism. 2nd ed. New York, NY: Routledge.
- Goldberg, David Theo. 1993. Racist Culture: Philosophy and the Politics of Meaning. New York: Blackwell Publishing.
- Goldberg, David Theo. 1997. Racial Subjects: Writing on Race in America. New York: Routledge
- Goldberg, David Theo. 2002. The Racial State. New York: Blackwell Publishing.
- Gonzales, Juan. 2000. Harvest of Empire: A History of Latinos in America. New York, NY: Penguin Books.
- Jhally, Sut and Justin Lewis. 1992. Enlightened Racism: The ‘Cosby Show,’ Audiences and the Myth of the American Dream. Boulder, CO: Westview Press.
- Lopez, Ian H.F. 1996. White by Law: The Legal Construction of Race. New York, NY: New York University Press.
- Matsuda, Mari J., Charles E. Lawrence, III, Richard Delgado, and Kimberle Williams Crenshaw, Words that Wound: Critical Race Theory, Assaultive Speech, and the First Amendment. Boulder, CO: Westview Press.
- McKinney, Karyn D. 2005. Being White: Stories of Race and Racism. New York, NY: Routledge.
- Mindiola, Tatcho, Jr., Yolanda Flores Niemann and Nestor Rodriguez. 2003. Black-Brown Relations and Stereotypes. Austin, TX: University of Texas Press.
- Nelson, Alondra. 2013. The Black Panther Party and the Fight against Medical Discrimination. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
- Omi, Michael and Howard Winant. 1994. Racial Formation in the United States: From the 1960s to the 1990s. New York, NY: Routledge.
- Picca, Leslie and Joe Feagin. 2007. Two Faced Racism: Whites in the Backstage and Fronstage. New York: Routledge.
- Roberts, Dorothy. 1997. Killing the Black Body: Race, Reproduction and the Killing of Liberty. New York: Vintage.
- Roberts, Dorothy. 2012. Fatal Invention: How Science, Politics, and Big Business Re-create Race in the Twenty-first Century. The New Press.
- Santa Ana, Otto. 2002. Brown Tide Rising: Metaphors of Latinos in Contemporary American Public Discourse. Austin, TX: University of Texas Press.
- Suarez-Orozco, M.M. and Mariela M. Paez. 2002. Latinos: Remaking America. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.
- Van Dyck, Teun. Elite Discourse and Racism. 1993. Newbury Park, CA: Sage Publishers.
- Vera, Hernan and Andrew M. Gordon. 2003. Screen Saviors: Hollywood Fictions of Whiteness. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers.
- Wu, Frank H. 2002. Yellow: Race in America Beyond Black and White. New York, NY: Basic Books.
Whiteness: A Bibliography
- Allen, T. W. (1994). The Invention of the White Race. London: Verso.
- Anderson, W. (2006). The Cultivation of Whiteness: Science, Health and Racial Destiny in Australia. Durham, NC: Duke University Press.
- Bailey, A. and Zita, J.N. (2007). “The Reproduction of Whiteness: Race and Regulation of the Gendered Body,” Hypatia, 22,2, vii-xv.
- Bonnett, A. (2008). “Review Article: Whiteness Studies Revisited.” Ethnic and Racial Studies 31, 2,185-196.
- Boucher, L. Carey, J. & Ellinghaus, K. (2009). Re-Orienting Whiteness. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Brown, T. (2008). “Race, Racism and Mental Health: Elaboration of Critical Race Theory’s Contribution to the Sociology of Mental Health.” Contemporary Justice Review 11, 1, 53-62.
- Daniels, J. (1997). White Lies. New York: Routledge.
- —– and Schulz, A.J. (2006). Whiteness and the Construction of Health Disparities, in L. Mullings and A.J. Schulz (eds), Gender, Race, Class, and Health, p. 89-127. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- —–. (2009). Cyber Racism. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield.
- —–. (2012). “Intervention: Reality TV, Whiteness and Narratives of Addiction,” Pp.103-125, in Critical Perspectives on Addiction, Julie Netherland, (Ed.), London: Emerald Publishers.
- Dyer, R. (1988). “White.” Screen 29,4,44-65.
- Eberhardt, J. (2005). “Imaging Race.” American Psychologist 60,2, 181-190.
- Feagin, J.R. (2012). White Party, White Government: Race, Class, and U.S. Politics. New York: Routledge.
- —–. (2010). The White Racial Frame: Centuries of Framing and Counter-Framing. New York: Routledge.
- Fine, M., Weis, L., Pruitt, L.P., and Burns, A. (1996). Off White: Readings on Race, Power and Society. New York: Routledge.
- Fine, M. (2012). “Notes on Whiteness and Health,” Racism Review, December 15. Available online at: http://beats-mena.com/blog/2012/12/15/whiteness-and-health/ .
- Frankenberg, R. (1993). White Women, Race Matters: The Social Construction of Whiteness. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
- Hall, S. (1995). “The Whites of the Eyes: Racist Ideologies and the Media,” Pp. 18-22, in Gender, Race and Class in Media: A Cultural Studies Approach, G. Dines and J. Humez, (eds.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Guess, Teresa. “The Social Construction of Whiteness: Racism by Intent, Racism by Consequence.” Critical Sociology 2006, Vol. 32 Issue 4, p649-673.
- Hill, J. (1998). “Language, Race and White Public Space.” American Anthropologist 100, 3, 680-689.
- Hughey, M. (2010). The (Dis)similarities of White Racial Identities: The Conceptual Framework of ‘Hegemonic Whiteness.’” Ethnic and Racial Studies 33, (8): 1289-1309.
- Jones, C.P., et al. (2008). “Using ‘Socially Assigned Race’ to Probe White Advantages in Health Status. Ethnicity & Disease, 18 (4):496-504.
- Katz Rothman, B. (2001). The Book of Life. Boston: Beacon Press.
- Leonardo, Z. (2009). Race, Whiteness and Education. New York: Routledge.
- Lipsitz, G. (1998). The Possessive Investment in Whiteness. Philadelphia: Temple University Press. Lopez, I.H. (2006). White By Law: The Legal Construction of Race. New York: NYU Press.
- Low, S. (2009). “Maintaining Whiteness: The Fear of Others and Niceness.” Transforming Anthropology, 17, (2): 79–92.
- Malat, J., et al. (2010). “White Doctors and Nurses on Racial Inequality in Health Care in the USA: Whiteness and Colour-Blind Racial Ideology.” Ethnic and Racial Studies 33,8,1431-1450.
- Roediger, D. (2007). The Wages of Whiteness, 2nd Ed. London: Verso.
- Skinner, D. and Rosen, P. (2001). “Opening the White Box: The Politics of Racialised Science and Technology,” Science as Culture, 10, 3, 285-300.
- Twine, F.W. and Gallagher, C. (2008). Introduction: The Future of Whiteness: A Map of the “Third Wave.” Ethnic and Racial Studies 31(1): 4-24.
- Wray, M. (2006). Not Quite White: White Trash and the Boundaries of Whiteness. Durham, NC: Duke University Press.
- Zuberi, T. and Bonilla-Silva, E. (Eds). (2008). White Logic, White Methods: Racism and Methodology. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield.